Effective 1st April 2012, IBFIM has been mandated by the Malaysian Takaful Association to conduct the Takaful Basic Examination (TBE).
The TBE is an entry qualification for all those who intend to be a registered takaful agent in the financial services industry promoting takaful products and services.
It is a compulsory qualification to enhance the competency and professionalism of takaful agents.
It is a compulsory qualification to enhance the competency and professionalism of takaful agents.The General Takaful Agents
Are governed by the code of ethics for takaful Intermediaries drawn up by Malaysian Takaful Association (MTA)
Are required to pass the TBE and complete a minimum of 20 hours training per year for Continuous Professional Development (CPD); and
Potential agents must comply with the minimum standards of disclosure requirements issued by Bank Negara Malaysia which, among others, require agents at the point of sale, to explain to potential customers on the main features of the product being marketed, details of commissions paid, and procedures on claims and complaints.The Family Takaful Agents
Are governed by the code of ethics for takaful Intermediaries drawn up by Malaysian Takaful Association (MTA)
Are required to pass the TBE and complete a minimum of 30 hours training per year for Continuous Professional Development (CPD); and
Agents are required to adhere to the minimum standards for proper advice issued by Bank Negara Malaysia which requires agents to obtain adequate information about potential customers. This will enable an agent to analyse a potential customer’s personal and financial circumstances and identify his financial needs and priorities so that a suitable and affordable takaful product can be recommended.Learning Objectives
- To introduce the nature of takaful and its differences with conventional insurance.
- To acquire the knowledge of the Shariah principles, concepts and underlying contracts applied in takaful business.
- To be conversant with family and general takaful operations, products and services
- To provide a comprehensive introductory knowledge of the technical and other aspects of takaful including the appropriate skills of marketing takaful.
- To instill the sense of social and professional responsibility among takaful agents
- To create an awareness of the importance of takaful in the development of Malaysia as an International Islamic Financial Centre (MIFC) and the significance of the social functions of takaful and the role of the takaful agents in bringing about these objectives.
Upon completion of the TBE, candidates are expected to be conversant with the takaful concepts, operations of family (life) takaful and general takaful (non-life), shariah issues on takaful, takaful products and ethical practices in takaful business.Entry Requirements
- Malaysian Citizen
- Aged 18 and above
- Minimum SPM/MCE qualification/certificate or equivalent (recognized by MTA)
IPA (Institut Pengajian Awam) Qualifications
- Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan (STPM) / Higher School Certificate (HSC), under the Ministry of Education, Malaysia
- Unified Examination – Senior Middle Section with minimum 5 passes, under the Unified Exam Certificate (UEC) for Independent Chinese Secondary School in Malaysia
- Sijil Pelajaran Vokasional Malaysia (SPVM) with minimum 5 passes, under the Ministry of Education, Malaysia
- Sijil Am Pelajaran (SAP) with minimum 5 passes including Bahasa Malaysia, under the Ministry of Education, Malaysia
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) / ‘O’ Levels with minimum 5 passes under the Ministry of Education, Malaysia or Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education
IPTA (Institut Pengajian Tinggi Awam) Qualifications
- Degrees from Institute of Higher Learning under the Ministry of Education. i.e. University of Malaya, University Utara Malaysia, Institut Teknologi Mara etc.
- Diplomas from Institute of Higher Learning under the Ministry of Education. i.e. University Malaya, Politeknik Ungku Omar, Institut Teknologi Mara etc.
- Certificates from Institute of Higher Learning under the Ministry of Education (provided the candidate had formal education up to Form Five). i.e. Sijil Kejuruteraan Letrik from Politeknik Ungku Omar.
IPTS (Institut Pengajian Tinggi Swasta) Qualifications
- Degrees from local or overseas Institutions of Higher Learning (Universities / Colleges / Polytechnics).
- Diplomas (duration of course must be at least one year with an examination as part of assessment or at least 5 subjects/modules (examination based) passed) from local or overseas Private Institute of Higher Learning (provided the candidate had formal education up to Form Five)
- Certificates (duration of course must be at least one year with an examination as part of assessment or at least 5 subjects/modules (examination based) passed) from local or overseas Private Institute of Higher Learning (provided the candidate had forma education up to Form Five) i.e. Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) (5 subjects passed).
- Other qualifications that do not fall into the above categories are subject to review and assessment by MTA.
- ** The above is subject to review by MTA from time to time.
Note : IBFIM reserves the right to make changes to the entry requirement as and when necessaryExemptions
Exemption will be granted to candidates who have obtained the following qualifications:
i) Islamic Financial Planner (IFP) ii) Shariah Registered Financial Planner (Shariah RFP)
- Kindly submit your application for exemption to MTA.
- Applications for exemption can be made by filling up the Application Form provided by MTA and sent to MTA
- For any other equivalent and recognized qualification, you are advised to apply to MTA.
TBE is strictly an online examination.
The examination is conducted online at authorized Examination Centers and it consists of three (3) parts:
- Part A : Basic Takaful, Medical and Health Takaful
- Part B: General Takaful
- Part C: Family Takaful, Investment Linked Takaful
- Part A and B (2 hours); or
- Part A and C (2 hours); or
- Part B only (1½ hours); or
- Part C only (1½ hours).
Pre-Requisite: A candidate who wishes to sit for Part B or Part C only is required to bring along a copy of the TBE examination certificate, which must be certified as a true copy by the designated authorized person as agreed by IBFIM and MTA.
If the candidate fails, the candidate will have to re-sit the examination in which he has failed. The candidate has to register for the re-sit and subject to the payments and procedures as so directed.
The medium of the examination is English. Usage of other languages will be announced later.
Examination Attendance Slip
The slip will be issued once the examination fee has been made.
Change of Examination Centers
Generally no request will be considered. However IBFIM has the authority or right to change the location and exam center depending on the number of available candidates sitting for the exam per center.
- Part A & B - Exam Fee TBA
- Part A & C - Exam Fee TBA
- Part B only - Exam Fee TBA
- Part C only - Exam Fee TBA
All payments must be made either through direct debit (FPX) or credit card, through the online payment gateway in the system. Candidates are advised to register for an internet banking access with their respective banks in order to perform this payment. Personal cheques and cash payments will NOT be accepted.
Any payment through Money Order, Postal Order or Banker's Cheque into the prescribed account can be made in the name of 'IBFIM'.Mode of Study
Candidates prepare for the examination through self-study, using the e-book as a reference.
Candidates have the option to purchase a hardcopy of the book sold at MTA or IBFIM
Upon request and subject to quorum, an examination preparatory class can be arranged with certain amount of charges.Syllabus
- Part A - Basic Takaful, Medical And Health Takaful
- Part B - General Takaful
- Part C - Family Takaful
1. Chapter A1 - Introduction to Islamic Muamalat
2. Chapter A2 - Concept of Risk
3. Chapter A3 - Introduction to Takaful
4. Chapter A4 - Comparison between Takaful and Conventional Insurance
5. Chapter A5 - Principles and Business Model of Takaful
6. Chapter A6 - Development and Supervision of Takaful Industry in Malaysia
7. Chapter A7 - Retakaful
8. Chapter A8 - Takaful Intermediaries
9. Chapter A9 - Introduction to Medical and Health Takaful
10. Chapter A10 - Types of Medical and Health Takaful
11. Chapter A11 - Underwriting Medical and Health Takaful
12. Chapter A12 - Certificate Administration
13. Chapter A13 - Medical and Health Takaful Claims
1. Chapter B1 - Characteristics of General Takaful Protection
2. Chapter B2 - The Classes of General Takaful Business
3. Chapter B3 - General Takaful Practices: Risk Assessment and Underwriting
4. Chapter B4 - General Takaful Practices: Certificate Documents
5. Chapter B5 - General Takaful Practices: Claims
6. Chapter B6 - General Takaful Practices: Certificates
7. Chapter B7 - General Takaful Practices: Ethics and Code of Conduct
1. Chapter C1 - Family Takaful Preliminaries
2. Chapter C2 - Family Takaful Plans
3. Chapter C3 - Family Takaful Practices: Certificate Terms and Conditions
4. Chapter C4 - Family Takaful Practices: New Business - Rating
5. Chapter C5 - Family Takaful Practices: Monitoring the Takaful Fund
6. Chapter C6 - Family Takaful Practices: Certificate Documents
7. Chapter C7 - Family Takaful Practices: Claims
8. Chapter C8 - Family Takaful Practices: Some Mathematical Methods
9. Chapter C9 - Key Considerations in Investment-Linked Takaful Plan
10. Chapter C10 - Types Of Investment-Linked Takaful Plan
11. Chapter C11 - Structure Of Investment - Linked Funds
12. Chapter C12 - Benefit and Risk
13. Chapter C13 - Taxation and Law Covering Investment Link Takaful Plan
14. Chapter C14 - Identifying and Establishing Customer Needs
15. Chapter C15 - Family Takaful Practices: Marketing and Services, Ethics and Code of Conduct
A candidate must satisfactorily complete :
- Part A and B ( General Takaful route), or
- Part A and C ( Family Takaful route);
Withdrawal and postponement are not permissible after the closing date. However, candidates may be excused from appearing in a scheduled examination only for serious emergencies such as the following situations:
- Medical grounds (self);
- Bereavement of parents, spouse or children;
- Disabling traffic accident;
- Court appearance (self);
- Military duty (self).
Breach of Examination Regulations:
IBFIM reserves the right to withdraw, withhold or invalidate the results or certificates at any time pertaining to any alleged breach of examination regulations and procedures. IBFIM and/or examination committee will take disciplinary action in relation to any examination candidates found guilty of any dishonorable or unprofessional conduct or committing any breach of examination rules, regulations or procedures.
The decisions of IBFIM and/or Examination Board shall be final and binding.
Examination Attendance Slip:
All examination attendance slip containing details of the candidate, the date, time and venue of the examination will be forwarded to the candidates by email prior to the date of the examination registered for. The candidate will be able to print the examination attendance slip.
Candidates must produce this Examination Attendance Slip together with their NRIC (Identification Card) at the examination hall. Failure to do so will bar the candidate from the examination. Candidates who have not received their examination attendance slip three (3) days before the examination date registered for should contact IBFIM immediately.
Candidates are responsible for checking the date, time and location of their examination.
General Information and Instructions:
Candidates are advised to bring their original Identity Card to the examination centre. They will not be allowed to sit for the exam if they could not produce their Identity Card. Candidates are also advised to bring along their original certificate, (SPM/MCE or equivalent) to the examination centre for verification.
Enter and Leaving Examination centre:
Candidates are advised to be ready at the designated examination centre 30 minutes before commencement of the exam. IBFIM reserves the right to bar them from taking the exam if they are late for more than 30 minutes from the commencement of the exam. They are required to review the allotted time schedule in the schedule. They will not be permitted to leave the exam room until 30 minutes after the time fixed for the session commencement.
The exam result will be given immediately to the candidate, immediately after the candidate has completed the exam, except here is a breach of instruction rules, regulations and procedures of the examination.
The examination results is in every case final.
Instructions to Candidates:
- Obey all instructions, directions and ruling of the presiding official
- Candidates who are not able to produce their identity card will not be allowed to sit for the examination.
- Candidates are also needed to bring the original copy of the SPM/MCE or any equivalent (academic related) certificate for verification before being allowed to sit for the exam.
- IBFIM reserves the right to ask from the candidates for any other proof of identity at any time during or after the examination. This includes the taking of thumbprints and photographs of candidate.
- Do not take into the exam room or utilize there any book, document or other written, typed or printed matter except your identity card and certificate and any other items provided by the presiding officials in connection with the exam.
- Do not attempt to copy or write any examination questions on any of your property and leave the exam room with it.
- Do not converse or in any way receive communication with or willingly receive communication from any other person except the presiding officials during the exam,
- Raise hands if they wish to attract the attention of the presiding officials
- Switch off and put away any transmitting or receiving equipment, e.g. hand-phones, pagers, palm top, i-pads etc.
- Do not read or attempt to read the work of any other candidates.
- Smoking in the examinations room is strictly prohibited.
- Candidate to conduct oneself ethically and professionally at all times at the examination.
- Stop work immediately after the presiding officials has announced that the allotted time is up. Any breach of the instructions rules, regulations and procedures of the examination may result in:
- Candidate disqualification not only in respect of the examination sat for but also for a period of years or even indefinitely.
- The withdrawal, withholding or invalidation of candidate’s result or certificate at any time.
- Any other sanction or action against the candidate as IBFIM deem fit and proper.
For inquiries, please contact TBE helpdesk at 603 – 20311010 ext 548 / 553 / 555 or e-mail to email@example.com
Power Under the Memorandum and Articles of Association:
Under the M&A of IBFIM, the board without prior notice may make, alter or revoke from time to time rules providing for all matters relating to the examination of IBFIM.
PLiability of IBFIM:
If IBFIM, for reasons outside its control, should find it impossible to hold any of the confirmed examinations, IBFIM's liability shall be limited to a complete refund of the examination fee paid in respect of the examination concerned.